Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Lampard penalty miss is no problem for England

Frank Lampard misses a penalty for Chelsea in the FA Cup

Although he missed a spot kick in the FA Cup final the Chelsea man backs himself for England

LAST UPDATED 7:57 AM, MAY 18, 2010
England's World Cup preparation began in earnest yesterday when the squad flew from Heathrow to an altitude training camp in Austria. There had been fears that their departure would be delayed because of the dark clouds drifting south from Iceland's erupting volcano, but mercifully there were no flight restrictions and the squad took off on time.
England know all about dark clouds when it comes to the World Cup, though they're usually metaphorically and descend in the knock out stages of the competition, but yesterday Frank Lampard vowed that this World Cup wouldn't end like 2006 [when England lost on penalties to Portugal] or 1998 [when they went out in similar fashion to Argentina] or 1990 [when England lost on penalties to West Germany].
And the fans need reassuring after Lampard missed a spot-kick for Chelsea during Saturday's FA Cup Final defeat of Portsmouth. "I've missed penalties for England, I've missed penalties for Chelsea and it comes with the territory," said Lampard, adding: "But it wouldn't put me off. I'm big enough to stand up. I missed [in the final] and it will play on my mind a little, but it will be completely overshadowed by the fact that we won the game and won the Double."
Lampard was one of the players who had his penalty saved in the 2006 World Cup quarter-final and he says he's taking positives from his latest miss: "It's quite good for me too because that kind of thing makes me address it and look at it and when I go away with England I will work on that kind of stuff. Sometimes you need a little reminder of what you have got to do."
Lampard attributes Saturday's miss to the fact that he "actually 

No comments:

Post a Comment